Characteristics of a frienemy
1. They're sweet to your face, but not so behind your back.
2. They compliment and mimic the things you do, say, and wear, often trying to
3. They're eager to hear about your latest problem at home or boy troubles, but there is a
hint of pleasure in their eyes.
4. They want to know everything about you, but only to sniff out your weakness to gain
advantage over you.
5. They're not loyal to you. At the first sight of sinking, they will abandon ship.
FRIENDship, that is.
How to Handle
Don't you wish you could ship off your frienemies to Antartica? It would sure make your life much easier! But here are real-life tips to be fine with your so-called blurred friendship:
- Believe in yourself.
- Talk to someone you trust.
- Don't ever overreact.
- Open yourself to possibilities of other friendships.
The little push you need
But don't be under the impression that frienemies should be rid of. Sometimes they're the little push to make you strive for the better. Take, for instance, Taylor Swift's school days. "I would go and sit down at the lunch table with my friends. And they would get up and move their trays to another table. Had (they) kept me in their group, and had I been the most popular girl in middle school, I would never have been inspired to write one song," she says. Well, a little friendly competition never hurts anyone!
- Miley Stewart and Amber Addison & Ashley Dewitt in Hannah Montana
- Serena van der Woodsen and Blair Waldorf in Gossip Girl
- Will Schuester and Sue Sylvester in Glee (TV series)
- Skipper and King Julian on The Penguins of Madagascar
- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz and Perry the Platypus on Phineas and Ferb